The Barnard family, who trekked here in the late 1800's and surveyed the property on the 15th November 1892, originally owned the farm known as Barnaardsvlei. The original boundaries were laid out in the tradtional method, on horseback, with the assistance of Paul Kruger. Several skirmishes took place on the farm and those adjacent to it during the 2nd Anglo/Boer war including the battles of Nooitgedacht and Buffelspoort. Numerous artefacts have been found as evidence of this, and several forts and block house ruins can be seen in the area. The property was originally leased to share croppers, who tilled the land with donkey drawn implements and cultivated summer maize and winter wheat. They subsidised their income by trapping buck and baboons to sell in the towns.

The Conroy family purchased the farm on the 4th May 1928. Seth Conroy an English settler had met and married Dot Reteif whose family trekked from the Cape to Olifantsnek Farm in 1872. They arrived on Greenhithe Farm with their two son's Alan and Terrence on an ox wagon driven by Seth and horse and cart driven by Dot. At this time the only improvements were a three-roomed stone and mud homestead, which the family occupied until 1945 when the current farmhouse was completed. Parts of the original 1902 building are still used today as a workshop and storeroom. On occupation by the Conroy's, the property was fenced to contain a small herd of Africander cattle. Subsequently, a citrus nursery was established and 1200 Valencia orange trees were planted. The produce was sold locally, until in 1938 an export market to the United Kingdom was established; the fruit was delivered to Marikana Station by ox wagon for onward delivery to Cape Town export harbour. The wheel hubs from that wagon can be seen in the aloe garden outside the Mountain Lodge. The exports halted in 1939 when Seth Conroy enlisted to fight in the 2nd World War. He returned safely at the age of 58, ending his services in Italy with the Royal Durban Light Infantry, 6th Division, as a Vickers Machine Gunnery Sergeant. Dot and Terrence had looked after the farm during this time and despite his young age Terrence had managed to start a small dairy herd which was milked by hand in the small dairy built by hand using local rock and mud. Terrence continued an agriculural career but his passion was always for Greenhithe and he returned to his roots on retiring in 1985. He continued farming actively until his passing aged 88. The current owners are his children and their families whose children are now the fourth generation to live on the farm. The farm is still active with black berriy, avocado and lemon orchards as well as pecan nut trees. The cattle herd that had been part of the farming operation was sold off in 2012 and all the internal fences removed, the boundaries were then game fenced and game originally found in the area was reintroduced .The idea for the Lodges commenced in the 70's when some of the original infrastructure was laid out, it was only in 2002 that the rest of the building took place and the first Lodge opened in 2004.

Back to top